- Beef Brisket, 500 grams
- Beef Tendons, 300 grams
- Cooking Oil
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Ginger, 1 (medium size, sliced)
- Star Anise, 1
- Five-spice Powder, 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay Leaves, 2
- Water, 750ml
- 柱候酱 Chu Hou Paste (Cooking sauce), 2 tablespoons
- 绍兴酒 Shao Xing Wine/花雕酒 Hua Diao Wine (Chinese cooking wine), 3 tablespoons
- Oyster Sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Light Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoons
- Dark Soy Sauce, 3/4 tablespoon
- Rock Sugar Cubes, 2 tablespoons
- Black Pepper, plenty (to taste)
- White Pepper, plenty (to taste)
- Orange Peels, 2
- Small Radish, 1
- Salt, to taste
- Spring Onions, plenty (chopped), for garnish
- Chilli Padi, for garnish
- In a Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, sear beef brisket and tendons till brown. Remove and set them aside.
- With the same inner pot, heat cooking oil, add garlic cloves, ginger slices, star anise, five-spice powder and bay leaves, and fry until fragrant.
- Add water, Chu Hou paste, Shao Xing wine, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rock sugar cubes, black pepper and white pepper. Mix the contents well and bring it to a boil under medium-high heat.
- When boiling, add browned beef brisket and tendons, and orange peels. Bring it to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn to medium heat and bring it to a rapid boil.
- When boiling, close the inner pot's lid and transfer it to the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for 18 hours and re-heat by bringing the contents to boil, after every 8 hours.
- Before serving, bring the contents to boil, add small radish, season with salt to taste and garnish with spring onions and chilli padi.
- This recipe is based on using a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® RPE-3000. You may adjust the ingredients accordingly to the Shuttle Chef® capacities.
- 柱候酱 Chu Hou Paste is known to be made from quality soybeans, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds and many other spices; a convenient cooking sauce for braising meats and vegetables.
- If you prefer to use 海鲜酱 Hoi Sin Sauce than 柱候酱 Chu Hou Paste, you may increase the number of garlic cloves from 2 to 5.
- You may cook this recipe the night before, re-boil in the morning and serve during dinner.