Serves 4 (12 pieces)
- Rice Flour, 75 grams
- Wheat Flour, 8 grams
- Salt, ½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil, 1 tablespoon + ½ cup
- Water, 200 ml
- Hot Boiling Water, 200ml
- Chye Poh (Preserved Radish), 150 grams
- Minced Garlic, 2 tablespoons
- Chopped Shallot, 60 grams
- White Pepper, ½ teaspoon
- Sugar, 2 tablespoons
- Dark Soya Sauce, ¼ tablespoon
- Sambal Chilli, as desired
- Steaming Rack, 1
- Chwee Kueh Moulds, 12
- Whisk, 1
- In a large bowl, add in rice flour, wheat flour, salt, 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and mix well. Add in 400ml water and mix well using a whisk till the batter is smooth. Once the batter is smooth, add in hot boiling water and mix well.
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, place the batter bowl on top of the pot to double boil. Stir constantly till batter thickens. Once the batter thickens, pour batter into the moulds.
- In a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, add hot boiling water and fill it till half full. Place in the steaming rack and moulds with batter onto the rack. Bring the water to a boil under medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once boiling, close the inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for 2 hours, for vacuum insulation steaming. Repeat the same for the second Thermos® Shuttle Chef® 3.0L inner pot.
- Meanwhile, wash chye poh (preserved radish) at least twice to remove excess salt. Drain and set aside for later use.
- In a cooking pan, add in ½ cup of cooking oil, minced garlic, chopped shallots and stir fry till the shallots turned translucent.
- Add in chye poh (preserved radish), white pepper, sugar, and dark soya sauce. Mix well and stir fry till the sugar dissolves. Set aside for later use.
- Before serving, remove chwee kueh from the moulds, add chye poh and desired amount of sambal chilli.
- This recipe is based on using a 6.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-6000, with 2 x 3.0L inner pot, where each 3.0L inner pot can steam a total of 6 chwee kueh moulds. Ingredients and tools can be adjusted or replaced for different Shuttle Chef® inner pot sizes and capacities.
- Both steaming rack and bowl have to fit well into the Shuttle Chef® inner pot when the lid is closed, and the bowl must be easily placed into the Shuttle Chef® when filled with contents.
Photos and recipe courtesy of Thermos Singapore team.