Serves 3 to 4
- Pork Belly, 500 grams
- Dried Shitake Mushrooms, 6
- Cooking Oil, 6 tablespoons
- Shallots, 100g (peeled)
- Garlic, 4 cloves (peeled)
- Fermented Soy Beans (Tau Cheo), 2 tablespoons
- Cinnamon Stick, 1 (about 8cm long)
- Dark Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoons
- Sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Palm Sugar (Gula Melaka), 20 grams
- Salt, ½ teaspoon
- Potatoes, 3 (cut into chunks)
- Garlic, 6 cloves (unpeeled & rinsed)
- Rinse pork belly, cut into 2cm thick slices and set aside.
- Soak mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes or till soften. Cut off stems, squeeze out excess water and set aside.
- Using a food processor, coarsely blend shallots and peeled garlic together and set aside.
- Using a fork, mash the fermented soy beans into a paste-like texture.
- In a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, heat cooking oil and fry blended shallots and garlic, and cinnamon stick till fragrant.
- Add fermented soybean paste, dark soy sauce, sugar, palm sugar and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Add pork belly slices to coat into mixture and fry briefly.
- Add water, enough to cover the pork and bring the contents to a rapid boil over medium-high heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add potatoes, unpeeled garlic, mushrooms. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When boiling, close the inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside to continue cooking for at least 4 hours. Serve with hot steamed rice.
- This recipe is based on using one of the 3.0L inner pots of Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-6000.
- This recipe is also suitable for a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-3000 or RPE-3000. You may adjust the ingredients quantity based on the capacity of the Shuttle Chef®.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Justine Ong from www.tings.sg