- Pig Trotters, 3, chopped into discs
- Whole Chicken Carcass, 2
- Vegetable Oil, 2 tablespoons
- Brown Onion, 1, quartered
- Garlic Cloves, 12, peeled
- Ginger, 5cm length, sliced
- Leeks, 2 stalks, chopped
- Spring Onions, 6-8 stalks, use white parts only
- Fresh Shiitake mushrooms, 6 pieces
- Pork Fat Oil, 2-3 tablespoons (oil rendered from frying pork lard)
- Dried Ramen Noodles or Fresh Ramen Noodles, 2 packets
- Beansprouts, 200 grams
- Fresh Shiitake Mushroom, 2 pieces (sliced)
- Corn Kernels, 200 grams
- Salted Butter, 50 grams
- Cha Shu, 800 grams
- In a 6.0L Thermos Shuttle Chef® inner pot, place pig trotters, chicken carcass and fill with water till meat is covered. Bring contents to a boil to remove scum and blood from the bones. Once boiling, turn off fire and strain the bones.
- Rinse bones under cold water and use a chopstick to remove marrow and blood from bones. This will ensure a lighter looking broth. Set bones aside for later use.
- In a clean 6.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, add vegetable oil, onion, ginger, garlic and stir fry until fragrant and well browned.
- When browned, add bones, leeks, spring onions and 6 shitake mushrooms into the inner pot and fill with tap water till contents are covered.
- Bring contents to rolling boil and skim the top of the broth to remove scum from surface. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, cover the inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot.
- Set aside to cook for 3 days, reheating every 12 hours. Add the pork fat oil into the broth on the 2nd day of the cooking.
- On the 3rd day, strain broth into a 3.0L Shuttle Chef® inner pot. Bring to a boil to reduce the broth to at least half. There should be about 1.5L of tonkotsu broth left.
- Cook ramen, beansprouts, sliced shitake mushrooms, corn kernels in a pot of boiling water. Place ramen, beansprouts, sliced shitake mushrooms in a bowl, and top with Tonkotsu broth, sliced Japanese Cha Shu and a small cube of butter. Enjoy
- This recipe is based on using a 6.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-6000 and a 3.0L Shuttle Chef® inner pot. You may adjust the ingredients quantity based on the capacity of the Shuttle Chef®.
Photo and recipes courtesy of Justine Ong from www.tings.sg.