- Unsalted butter, 4 tablespoon
- Yellow onions, 2 pounds sliced 1/4-inch into half circles
- Sugar, 1 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon
- Dry sherry, ½ cup
- Homemade chicken or vegetable stock, 3 cups
- Fresh thyme, 1 Bunch
- Bay leaves, 3 pieces
- French baguette, 1 small, sliced crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- Gruyere cheese, 8 ounces grated on the large holes of a box grater (about 3 cups)
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Melt butter in Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, on medium-low heat. Add onions. Spread them out into as thin a layer as possible. Sprinkle with sugar and cook, stirring just as needed to keep onions from sticking, until they are melting and soft, golden brown, and beginning to caramelize, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, and stir to coat. Add sherry, stock, and thyme into the Shuttle Chef® inner pot, and bring to a boil.
- Place inner pot into the vacuum-insulated outer pot and cover lid. Leave on your kitchen counter for at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast bread under a broiler; set aside.
- Ladle hot soup into six ovenproof bowls. Arrange the bowls on a baking pan. Place 1 or 2 slices of toasted bread over each bowl of soup. Sprinkle ½ cup of grated cheese over bread in each bowl, and place under the broiler until cheese is melted and crusty brown around the edges. Watch carefully that bread does not burn. Serve immediately.
Note: Image is for illustrative purposes only
Image source here.