- Pork Ribs Cubes, 1 kilogram
- Ginger, 30 grams (sliced)
- Korean Fermented Bean Paste (Doenjang), 2 tablespoons
- Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, 4 (about 20 grams)
- Onion, 1 (peeled and sliced)
- Water, 2 litres
- Potatoes, 2 (peeled only)
- Soybean Sprouts, 1 packet (240 grams)
- Napa Cabbage, 1/2 (about 500 grams)
- Spring Onions, 5 stalks (about 50 grams, cut into 2-inch each)
- Minced Garlic, 1 tablespoon
- Korean Hot Pepper Flakes (Gochugaru), 3 tablespoons
- Korean Hot Pepper Paste (Gochujang), 1 tablespoon
- Oyster Sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Sesame Seeds, 85 grams (coarsely mashed)
- Black Pepper, ½ teaspoon
- Water, 120ml
- Rinse the pork ribs over water for 3 times. Soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, add 2 litres of water and bring it to boil. Once boiling, add in the pork ribs and cook for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, strain the pork ribs and wash under running water to remove any impurities. Discard hot water from the inner pot with care.
- In the same 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, add clean cooked pork ribs, ginger, Korean fermented bean paste, dried shiitake mushrooms and onion slices. Add water till it covers the ingredients and bring contents to a boil.
- Once boiling, close the inner pot with lid and transfer into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside to continue cooking for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the seasoning paste by adding all the ingredients and mix well until creamy. Set it aside for later use.
- Rinse the cabbage in cold water and strain. Tear the leaves in lengthwise once or twice to make it into long bite sized pieces.
- After 4 hours, remove the shiitake mushrooms Shuttle Chef® inner pot and cut them into slices. Return the sliced mushrooms back to the inner pot.
- Remove the inner pot from the Shuttle Chef® outer pot and place it over the stove. Bring the contents to a boil with regular stirs and when boiling, add potatoes, soybean sprouts, napa cabbage, spring onions and seasoning paste.
- Close the inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside to continue cooking for another 2 hours.
- Before serving, garnish with spring onions. Enjoy the soup with white rice!
- This recipe is inspired and improvised from www.maangchi.com/recipe/gamjatang.
- This recipe is based on using the Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-4500. You may adjust the ingredient quantities based on the capacity of the Shuttle Chef®.
- The initial ingredient perilla seeds powder was substituted with sesame seeds, while the fish sauce was substituted with oyster sauce.
Photos and recipe courtesy of Thermos Singapore team.