Serves 6 to 8
- All-Purpose Flour, 2 cups (sifted)
- Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
- Eggs, 2
- Ripe Bananas, 4 (mashed till smooth)
- Milk, 50ml
- Coconut Palm Sugar, 110 grams
- Melted Unsalted Butter, 60 grams
- Lemon Juice, 1 teaspoon
- Walnuts, to preference
- Steaming Rack, 1
- Round Baking Tin, 1 (greased with butter)
- Aluminium Foil
- In a bowl, add sifted all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix evenly and set aside it as dry mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and add mashed banana, milk, coconut palm sugar, melted unsalted butter and lemon juice. Mix each ingredient evenly in this wet mixture before adding the next ingredient.
- Add dry mixture in three batches into the wet mixture of the same large mixing bowl, mix it evenly with a spatula after every batch before mixing the next batch. Place walnuts into the cake batter mixture.
- Pour in the cake batter into the baking tin till 3/4 full and cover with aluminium foil.
- In a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, place in the steaming rack, add water till 1/3 full and place the baking tin with cake batter onto the steaming rack.
- Bring the water in the inner pot to a boil under medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes. (Check water level during boiling and refill water when necessary to ensure water level remains at 1/3 full.)
- When boiling, close inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for at least 3 hours, for vacuum insulation cooking.
- Before serving, garnish with sliced bananas.
- This recipe is based on using a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-4500. Ingredients and tools can be adjusted or replaced for different Shuttle Chef® inner pot sizes and capacities.
- Both steaming rack and baking tin have to fit well into the Shuttle Chef® inner pot when the lid is closed, and the baking tin must be easily placed into the Shuttle Chef® when filled with contents.
- Ripe bananas are easy to mash with a fork and have better flavour. You may pick ripe bananas, where the skin is slightly black.
Photos and recipe courtesy of Thermos Singapore team.