- Dried Chestnuts, 100 grams
- Spring Onions, 1 sprig (cut into strips)
- Garlic, 3 cloves (sliced)
- Chicken Maryland, 4 – 5 pieces (deboned and chopped into chunks)
- Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, 6 pieces (soaked in hot water till soft)
- Hot water used to soak dried shitake mushrooms, 300ml
- Dark Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Light Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Shaoxing Wine (Hua Tiao Jiu), 1 tablespoon
- Black Vinegar, 2 teaspoons
- Star Anise, 2 pieces
- Cinnamon Stick, 1
- Red Dates, 2
- Cooking Oil, 2 tablespoons
- Cornflour Slurry (mixture of 1 tablespoon of corn flour with 4 tablespoon of water)
- In a bowl, add in dried chestnuts and soak in hot water for at least an hour. Set aside for later use.
- In a bowl, add in dried shitake mushroom and soak in hot water till soft. Set aside for later use.
- In a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, add in cooking oil, spring onions, sliced garlic and stir fry till fragrant. When fragrant, add in chicken maryland, star anise, cinnamon stick. Stir fry and brown the chicken pieces.
- When browned, add in dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, shaoxing wine, black vinegar and mix well. Add shitake mushrooms, chestnuts, red dates, 200ml of mushroom water and stir fry for 15 minutes. Bring contents to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When boiling, add in cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce. Close the inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside to continue cooking for at least 2 hours. Serve with hot steamed rice.
- This recipe is based on using a 3.0L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-3000. You may adjust the ingredients quantity based on the capacity of the Shuttle Chef®.
- Chicken Maryland refers to the chicken thigh with the drumstick attached.
- Based on preference, you may either soak the dried chestnuts for an hour where it will still be relatively hard or overnight to soften it.
Photos and recipe courtesy of Justine Ong from www.tings.sg.