- Glutinous Rice, 800 grams (washed, soaked in water overnight and drained)
- Shitake Dried Mushrooms, 12 pieces (soaked in water till soft, removed stems and sliced)
- Garlic, 2 tablespoons (peeled and diced)
- Shallots, 8 pieces (peeled and diced)
- Chicken Thigh, 500 grams (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Chinese Sausage, 2 (peeled and sliced)
- Hard Boiled Eggs, 3 (each cut into four pieces)
Seasoning A for Glutinous Rice:
- Sesame Oil, 2½ tablespoons
- Light soya Sauce, 4 tablespoons
- Dark Soya Sauce, 2 tablespoons
- Five Spice Powder, 2 teaspoons
- Water, 400ml
Seasoning B for Chicken Thigh:
- Sesame Oil, 2 tablespoons
- Shao Xing Wine, 2 tablespoons
- Corn Flour, 3 teaspoons
- Light Soya Sauce, 3 tablespoons
- Oyster Sauce, 4 tablespoons
- White Pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Juice, 2 tablespoons
- Sugar, 3 tablespoons
- Mushroom Water, 3 tablespoons
- Small Aluminium Bowls, 10 (about 11cm width by 3cm height)
- Steaming Tray, 1
- Bowl, 1
- Marinate chicken and sliced mushrooms with Seasoning B overnight.
- In a frying pan, using medium heat, add chopped shallots, garlic and stir fry till fragrant.
- When fragrant, add soaked glutinous rice, Seasoning A (except water) and mix well. Add 200ml of water and stir fry till water evaporates. When water evaporates, turn off heat, add another 200ml of water, mix well and place glutinous rice in a suitable bowl.
- In a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, place in the steaming rack, add hot boiling water till 1/3 full and place the bowl with the glutinous rice onto the steaming rack.
- Bring water in the inner pot to a boil under medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, close inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for at least 1½ hours, for vacuum insulation steaming.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, stir fry sliced Chinese sausage till fragrant. Set aside for later use.
- Using the same frying pan, add marinated chicken and sliced mushrooms, 100ml of water and simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, set aside for later use.
- After 1½ hours, remove steamed glutinous rice from Shuttle Chef® inner pot and set aside to cool down.
- In an aluminium bowl, add single portion of chicken, mushroom slices, fried Chinese sausage and a sliced of hard-boiled egg into the base of the bowl, and then fill the bowl with the glutinous rice on the top. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of marinated chicken sauce on the glutinous rice. Cover aluminium bowl with aluminium foil.
- In a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot, place in the steaming rack, add hot boiling water till 1/3 full, place a suitable plate on the steaming rack and place the aluminium bowl on top of the plate.
- Bring the water in the inner pot to a boil under medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, close inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® outer pot. Let it sit aside for at least 1 hour, for vacuum insulation steaming.
- Before serving, use a butter knife to glide the side of the aluminium bowl to remove glutinous rice and serve it on a plate.
- This recipe is based on using a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® TCRA-4500. Ingredients and tools can be adjusted or replaced for different Shuttle Chef® inner pot sizes and capacities.
- Both steaming rack and bowl have to fit well into the Shuttle Chef® inner pot when the lid is closed, and the bowl must be easily placed into the Shuttle Chef® when filled with contents.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs by placing them in a Thermos® Shuttle Chef® inner pot and add water till it covers the eggs. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove and allow eggs to cool before de-shell.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Thermos Singapore team.