Serves 6 to 8
- Butter, 80 grams
- Fresh Milk, ½ cup
- Castor Sugar, ½ cup
- Vanilla Essence, ½ teaspoon
- Dark Chocolate, 45 grams (melted)
- Espresso Powder, 1 teaspoon
- Eggs, 2 (lightly beaten)
- All-Purpose Flour, ¾ cup (sifted)
- Baking Soda, ¼ teaspoon (sifted)
- Baking Powder, ¾ teaspoon (sifted)
- Dark Cocoa Powder, ½ cup (sifted)
- Salt, ½ teaspoon
- Walnuts, to preference (chopped)
- Chocolate Syrup, to preference
- Strawberries, to garnish
- Blueberries, to garnish
- Steaming Rack, 1
- Round Baking Tin, 1 (greased with butter)
- Aluminium Foil
- In a saucepan, add in butter, fresh milk, castor sugar and stir over low heat till butter and sugar are melted. Place butter mixture in a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool down.
- When cool down, add in melted dark chocolate, espresso powder, vanilla essence and eggs in the large mixing bowl. Mix evenly and set aside as wet mixture.
- In a bowl, add sifted all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, dark cocoa powder and salt. Mix evenly and set aside as dry mixture.
- Add dry mixture in three batches into the wet mixture of the same large mixing bowl, mix it evenly with a spatula after every batch before mixing the next batch. Place walnuts into the cake batter mixture.
- Pour cake batter mixture into baking tin till ½ full and cover with aluminium foil.
- In a Thermos® Shuttle Chef® Inner Pot, place in the steaming rack, add water till 1/3 full and place the baking tin with cake batter onto the steaming rack.
- Bring the water in the inner pot to a boil under medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When boiling, close inner pot with lid and transfer it into the Shuttle Chef® Outer Pot. Let it sit aside for at least 3 hours, for vacuum insulation cooking.
- Before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup and garnish with strawberries.
- This recipe is based on using a 4.5L Thermos® Shuttle Chef® KBG-4500. Ingredients and tools can be adjusted or replaced for different Shuttle Chef® inner pot sizes and capacities.
- Both steaming rack and baking tin have to fit well into the Shuttle Chef® inner pot when the lid is closed, and the baking tin must be easily placed into the Shuttle Chef® when filled with contents.
Photos and recipe courtesy of Thermos Singapore team.